b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hatshepsut's Inscription

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hatshepsut's Inscription
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:14:56 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/2004 6:50:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Banyai AT t-online.de writes:

> nobody has said on this list anything else:

That is not my recollection....but no matter.

> Then she goes on to say something to the effect that now she
> is on the throne, the snake on her brow spitting fire at her enemies, she
> has "banished the abomination of the gods"--meaning those Aamu. No doubt
> about
> it--she claims the credit.
>
> It is clear Hatschepsut has expulsed/banished the Hyksos/Aamu population
> from Egypt. Should she have had done this following a succesfull military
> conflict she would not have omitted to boast so: I have
> crushed/vanquished/destroyed, etc. We all know the Egyptian propagandistic
> literature. It exploits even
> the smallest incident.

I don't think it's at all so clear that Hatshepsut is responsible--because
there are other indications that it was her late brother/husband who did
this--and Hatshepsut had not much use for him, her propaganda even claiming
that her
father had always meant *her* to succeed (since she was more royal than her
brother, being the daughter of the chief queen). However, in this she *was*
surely lying as no woman was supposed to rule unless there was no male
offspring
of the former pharaoh or these sons were too young and needed a regent
(always
a female). But, anyway, it is interesting about these Aamu. They are
depicted once in a very nice scene from apparently more peaceful times. This
is in
the tomb of Khnumhotep II at Beni Hassan in Middle Egypt, dated to the 12th
Dynasty ca. 1880 BCE during the reign of Sesostris II. The foreigners are
very
carefully rendered with their colorful, striped clothing and sharp, prominent
noses. You can view it here at

http://alain.guilleux.free.fr/beni_hassan/necropole_beni_hassan.html

by scrolling down to the tomb of Khnumhotep. The scene is captioned "the
bringing of eye-paint (ground-up ore) by 37 Aamu". Their leader's name is
given
as "Abisha" and women and children are with him. The children ride on a
donkey and they bring a gazelle, too, as a gift. Before the procession is
the word
"Hq3 x3swt" or "rulers of foreign lands". This is the true meaning of the
term "Hyksos". But the Aamu were only one of them. However, if one wants to
see how Joseph and his family would have appeared to the Egyptians--this is
probably how.