b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Timing of Thera volcano

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • To: Stephen Segall <segall AT umich.edu>, Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Timing of Thera volcano
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:16:12 -0700 (PDT)

Stephen:

Another fairly comprehensive bibliography on the Thera
Event can be found at:

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/fine_arts/chloris/thera_0.html

The consensus seems to be ca. 1628 BCE

Kevin

http://projectsx.dartmouth.edu/classics/history/bronze_age/chronobib.html

http://www.mystae.com/restricted/streams/thera/dating.html

> Kevin
>

> --- Stephen Segall <segall AT umich.edu> wrote:
>
> > All of the archeological evidence about the date
> of
> > this volcano is
> > suspect. A conclusive way to date the Thera
> volcano
> > may be through study
> > of ice cores from Greenland, Antarctica or other
> > places that can date
> > volcanic events by comparison with more recent and
> > more precisely known
> > events that are recorded in the ice cores. Does
> > anyone know of such
> > studies and do you have references to them?
> >
> > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Karl Randolph wrote:
> >
> > > Marianne:
> > >
> > > If as you claim below, Exodus mentions phenomena
> > consistant with the Theran eruption, and those
> > phenomena were also connected timewise with
> Ahmoses'
> > attack on the Hyksos' strongholds, you have just
> > made my point that the Exodus under Moses occured
> > under the last or next to last Hyksos pharaoh
> (next
> > to last, if the pharaoh of the Exodus was killed
> as
> > mentioned in Exodus, and his successor ruled for
> > only a short period before being expelled).
> > >
> > > Karl W. Randolph.

=== message truncated ===

=====
Prof. Kevin W. Woodruff, M. Div., M. S. I. S.
Library Director/Reference Librarian, Professor of Bible and Greek
423/493-4252 (office) 423/493-4423 (home) 423/493-4497 (FAX)
Cierpke AT prodigy.net http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm