b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaten and Hebrew religion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaten and Hebrew religion
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:59:48 -0500

Patrina & Uri:

Just because Genesis doesn’t specifically mention it, doesn’t mean that the
Patriarchs and earlier didn’t practice religious intolerance of other
deities. That could have been part of what the Patriarchs considered
background noise, taken for granted, hence not something to be specifically
mentioned. Because it wasn’t mentioned means that we can’t prove either way.

Another issue: the religious practices mentioned in Genesis are not the same
as in Exodus through Deuteronomy; God put a different set of religious
practices on the nation of Israel than on individuals apart from Israel,
which included the Patriarchs.

Finally, )L El is a title, not a name.

Karl W. Randolph.