b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Another Question About Qadeshah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Another Question About Qadeshah
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:13:32 -0500

Dear Kevin,

I was asked by one of my students why during the time
of Eli was the high priestly line transferred from the
descendents of Eleazar to the line of Ithamar, since
it is obvious that the line of Eleazar continued to
have descendents according to 1 Chronicles 6:3-8?

HH: God transferred the priesthood from the line of Ithamar to the line of Eleazar, not visa versa. God did not make the transfer immediately but waited until the time of Solomon:

1Kings 2:26 ΒΆ To Abiathar the priest the king said, "Go back to your fields in Anathoth. You deserve to die, but I will not put you to death now, because you carried the ark of the Sovereign LORD before my father David and shared all my father's hardships."
1Kings 2:27 So Solomon removed Abiathar from the priesthood of the LORD, fulfilling the word the LORD had spoken at Shiloh about the house of Eli.

HH: The genealogy in 1 Chronicles 6 contains only the line of Eleazar, indicating that this was the legitimate line.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard