b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Benjamin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Benjamin
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 23:02:23 +0200

In most of the ANE, the "map" that people refered to was "oriented" towards
the east. Thus "Qedem" ("forward") is east, "Axor" (backward) is west (the
Medditerranean was sometimes called "Hayyam Ha)axaron", the behind sea),
"Semol" (left) is north and "Yamin" is south. There were other terms for
each of these as well, such as Mizrax ("sunrise"), Ma(arav (sunset), Capon
and Darom.

Yigal