b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune -- 1 Chron

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune -- 1 Chron
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:09:51 -0700

On 02/07/2004 03:44, George F. Somsel wrote:

Peter,
Come, now. I'm sure you know that Benjamin BiN:YfMIN meant "Southern." They were "rednecks." :-) Just kidding, all you U.S. southerners. It does, however, refer to the south. The orientation when calculating directions was toward the east so that to the "right" was the south and )aXa:RoWN > )aXa:R"Y (behind) was west. george
gfsomsel

George, please stop insulting me and then trying to hide it with a bad joke aout rednecks. I do NOT know that the word means "Southern". I agree that YAMIN can mean "south", but it can also mean "right hand" - and that is not just evangelical derivation from Gen 35:18, it is the basic meaning given by BDB. As for why this particular tribe or tribal ancestor was called this, we really have no idea, except that Gen 35:18 might offer a clue. Probably not because he was right-handed, but the name can still mean "right-handed" - just as your name means "farmer" although you were probably not given it because you are a farmer.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)