b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:04:15 -0500

Peter:

Let’s go back to your example of bear: in Norwegian å bære means to carry. As
far as I know, it has only that meaning (Rolf can correct me on this). Just
because the English has two roots corresponding to the same lexeme is
immaterial to Norwegian, especially since a bjørn corresponds to the second
English root. Norwegians studying English can speculate if the English word
bear originally had one root that later became almost unrecognizable as it
split apart in meaning, or if two roots merged into the same pronunciation
and spelling, as history shows was the case.

As for the Hebrew use of XBL &#1495;&#1489;&#1500; within Tanakh, I see only
one root expressed. In Aramaic the same spelling but a different root. In
Arabic, two roots, one corresponding to Hebrew, the other Aramaic. In
Mishnaic and later Hebrew (from discussions on this list) apparently use the
Aramaic term as a loan word, in the same way as Esther 2:1 uses GZR with the
Aramaic meaning instead of the Hebrew meaning.

Were both roots in proto-Semitic? If not, which was the original root? The
earliest writings we have show Aramaic with one root, Hebrew with another,
and later Arabic had both.

Karl W. Randolph.