b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:32:42 -0500

Peter:

With “bear” I looked at its uses and found widely divergent meanings
depending on contexts. Looking at cognate languages verified that I was
dealing with different roots. (I could have looked at the history of English
language and arrived at the same conclusion, but the above is assuming the
situation with Hebrew, where we don’t have the history.)

However, with XBL &#1495;&#1489;&#1500; within Biblical Hebrew, I have not
found widely divergent meanings. Therefore, I see no need to go to cognate
languages to look for different roots. That Arabic, for example, has two
roots becomes irrevelant if all uses in Biblical Hebrew can be seen as
expressions of one root.

Karl W. Randolph.