b-hebrew - RE:earlier dictionaries? was [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE:earlier dictionaries? was [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:31:14 -0500

Dear Harold:

Don’t boast about the number of word studies you have done, for I (also
Reinier de Blois) have done many more than you. For me, a word study starts
with taking out a concordance or the electronic equivelant and finding every
occurance of a lexeme in Tanakh. However, because I am primarily interested
in Biblical Hebrew, I limit myself to Tanakh.

Secondly, some examples you listed below are in Aramaic. I know enough
Aramaic to read the Aramaic portions of Tanakh, and no more. Just because
Aramaic has a particular meaning for a lexeme, does not mean that Hebrew had
the same meaning: a good example being $KX &#1513;&#1499;&#1495; in Hebrew
meant to forget, while in Aramaic it meant there is (found) or very similar
to Y$ &#1497;&#1513; in Hebrew. Therefore, why should we expect that the
Aramaic XBL &#1495;&#1504;&#1500; has the same meaning as the Hebrew lexeme?
As a cognate language, we’re not surprised if it has the same meaning, but
again, we’re not surprised if it doesn’t.

I don’t consider the NIV as an authority. As translators, their mission is
not to be on the cutting edge of scholarship, but to follow what others have
said before them. Furthermore, it is a semi-paraphrase.

XBL &#1495;&#1504;&#1500; in its various forms and derivitives is used around
100 times in Tanakh in Hebrew. The vast majority of the times it is no
question that it refers some way to tying up or derivitive meanings of being
connected with, such as the territory tied to or connected with a city, the
knotting up of muscles as in cramps or labor pangs, restrictions on people by
requirements of repaying debts, and so forth. Fewer than 10% of uses is there
question where people use the Aramaic meaning in Hebrew, and some of those
read smoothly with the tied to or connected with meaning. Where we disagree
is if tradition is correct to say that the Aramaic meaning is also a
legitimate Hebrew meaning, which I question.

Isaiah 13:5 one of the meanings I recognized for XBL &#1495;&#1504;&#1500; is
to pack up to carry away, in order to despoil the land.

Maybe I’m reading some of my own experiences into the text, but as a person
who is not financially well off, I see how the rich are restricting my
options as in Isaiah 32:7 (restrict is one of the derivitive meanings that I
recognize from to knot up).

Isaiah 54:16 in reference to verse 17, again I see ruination to those who
make restrictions.

In Micah 2:12 those who act corruptly end up tying themselves into knots.

Job 17:1 My spirit is restricted, my days are set up as graves for me. ( Z(K
&#1494;&#1506;&#1498; is a hapax legomai, are we sure we have the right
meaning for it? I’m not sure of its definition. )

Job 34:31 God is not the one who says I lift up but I am not restricted,
which I read to say that God finishes what he starts.

Ecclesiastes 5:5 (6) don’t make promises before God that you may not be able
to keep, or those that will restrict your options, the work you can do.

Nehemiah 1:7 We are surely connected to you, but we have not followed your
commands.

Karl W. Randolph.