b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shva merahephet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shva merahephet
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:49:39 +0300

Dear Ken,

No, I don't recall those texts. Thank you, I will read them.

In my study, as expected, I came to conclusion that the base is similar for
sing and pl forms. Just want to verify whether anyone investigated this path
before.

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny

Have you read W. R. Garr, "The Seghol and Segholation in Hebrew," Journal of
Near Eastern Studies 48 (1989) 109-116?

On the history of Hebrew stress, see J. Blau, _In Memoriam P. Kahle_, 1968,
33-34 or _A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew_, 30-34.

Segolate nouns form their plural from a different base, with a long A
between the second and third radicals. Because the third radical of plural
segolates was originally preceded by a vowel, it has no dagesh.

I hope I have understood your question correctly.

Ken Penner
McMaster/Hebrew