b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shva merahephet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shva merahephet
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:47:04 +0300

Dear Yigal,

I'm working on the issue related to shva merahephet, and there seems a
reasonable grammatical explanation of this curiousity, so I naturally try to
find what others said on it - and cannot find anything beyond the
rationalization of the kown anomaly.

Yigal, this is a pure grammatical issue. All too often the things which
cannot be easily explained, are related to anomalies of the liguistic
development. BTW, though I've of course read Gesenius, the answer to your
question is no, I didn't study from him. I cannot imagine what it takes to
study from a manual like that. The simplest things are made inexplicable.
For the record, the worse discourse on Hebrew grammar I ever saw was in
Jewish Encyclopedia. There are paragraphs were I simply could not understand
what the authors meant under the heap of the obscurest linguistical terms.

Best regards,

Vadim

> While I am not a grammarian, I am familiar with the term. My (uneducated)
> impression has always been that the "Shva Merahefet" is an excuse invented
> to explain away cases where there should be a Dagesh but isn't, or where a
> Shva should be moble but doesn't act like one. My guess would be that the
> Mesoretes had a tradition but no consistant way to explain it. I can
observe
> the way things like that happen in modern Hebrew, as in any living
> language - phonetics do their thing, and grammrians then have to make up
the
> rules. My four year old son says "matsiti" (that's MaCiTiY) instead of
> "matsati"- "I found", probably influenced by "ratsiti" (I wanted) and the
> like. We should remember that Biblical Hebrew WAS a spoken language, to
only
> during the pre-exilic period, but all through Jewish history, Jews
continued
> to use the language, not only in reading the Bible, but in composing the
> Mishnah, midrashim, liturgy and thousands of other texts. They also
> developed traditions about pronounciation. The Mesoretes inherited these
> traditions.
>
> This thread has also reaccenuated another point - the Hebrew grammar that
I,