b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Torah and Sheol - a response

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Torah and Sheol - a response
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:58:21 +0200

Dear learned members,

Hallo, Thanks for the responses on this however I really feel I need to
address the points being made that these are nouns. In ENGLISH they are
nouns I agree but not in hebrew. I understand that hebrew is very much a
concrete language (as opposed to abstract), and that very few nouns are TRUE
nouns by western understanding. The majority of nouns are actually derived
from verbs, I personally find this indicative of a subtle but important
manner of perceiving the world around them.

Hence and therefore, did I ask if these 2 "nouns" were actually a participle
and infinite construct direct from the root verb rather than simply saying
that they were nouns. After all 'shepherd' is a noun to us but it was a
verbal thought to the hebraic mindset. (just to use a common example).

If some of you believe that I am travelling down a wrong road here then
please explain.

Thanks Chris.