b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Torah and Sheol - a response

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Torah and Sheol - a response
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:29:50 -0600

I would add that the abstract/concrete-mindset idea seems to be a bit
outdated, or at least the lines are more blurred than they were a century
ago. I would also quibble just a bit with the idea that most nouns are
"derived" from verbs; it seems rather to be the case that both a noun and a
verb may be "derived" (if that's the applicable word) from a common root-set,
e.g. DBR can be either a noun or a verb depending on what the speaker/writer
wanted to say/write. I don't think it's really the case that DFBFR is
derived from DIB."R, but rather they both project from a common entry in the
mental lexicon and are surface realized with the appropriate pronunciation
according to what the speaker intended.

Is that obfuscatory enough?????