b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Genesis 1:6-7, 8:1, Waters Above and Below

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Genesis 1:6-7, 8:1, Waters Above and Below
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:09:34 -0400

Peter Kirk wrote:

Now I don't take BDB as the top authority on Akkadian (and it doesn't mention Ugaritic because it is too old - but it is what I have to hand), but it seems to suggest that mû and šamû are regular singular nouns which also have plural forms. Have I misunderstood BDB? Or is it wrong?

I'd have to say you've understood correctly, but it's wrong. The study of Akkadian has come a long way in the past century, so I wouldn't go too hard on BDB. I'm not familiar enough with the history of the discipline to know exactly how things have changed since then; what I do know is that muu is nominative plural in form and mee is oblique plural. The difference is one of case; all attested forms of these two words look plural in number. I can cite sources on that if you like.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics