b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Genesis 1:6-7, 8:1, Waters Above and Below

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: <david.kimbrough AT charter.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Genesis 1:6-7, 8:1, Waters Above and Below
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 05:57:12 -0500

I found out on the Internet last night that the most common opinion was
that the raqiya is a thin, "hammered out" layer of - the atmosphere! It
separates whatever is below from whatever is above, which to some is, as you
say, more water which can pour through the firmament when God allows it.

Thanks for telling me there are parallel uses of these terms in the story of
the flood - I didn't know it!

Do the parallels also exist in other stories of the flood, particularly
those of Ugarit and northern Syria that are closest to teh Biblical story?

Why "from below" and "from above"; mitakhat and mi'al instead of just takhat
and al?

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas