b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The DikDukBuk

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wesley4christ " <wesley4christ AT blackplanet.com>
  • To: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The DikDukBuk
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 06:30:21 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 18:12:08 -0400
To: wesley4christ AT blackplanet.com

> I wouldn't vouch for the number twelve, though I assume the rabbi knows
> whereof he speaks. If you think about it for a moment you will realize
> that there are certain consonants which are used in prefixes or affixes,
> certain consonants that are used as prepositions, etc. Whatever is left
> can only be part of the root.
>
> gfsomsel
> ________
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 05:47:24 +0800 "wesley4christ "
> <wesley4christ AT blackplanet.com> writes:
> > Hello,
> > Has anyone been to this site?
> > http://www.learnhebrewisrael.com/
> > The Rabbi has a unique system for learning Hebrew. I believe that
> > it is modern Hebrew that he teaches. He also wrote something called
> > the "DikDukBuk."
> > After listening to one of the sample lessons, I have three
> > questions.
> >
> > 1. I have had Biblical Hebrew one and two in Seminary. Is modern
> > Hebrew much different? I am considering learning modern Hebrew and
> > I wanted to get an idea of what I am up against.
> >
> > 2. This Rabbi says that there are 12 Hebrew constants that can
> > "ONLY" be used as part of the root of a word. He says that whenever
> > you see one of these constants that they must be part of the root.
> > I do not remember ever hearing this before. Is this true with
> > Ancient Hebrew as well as modern Hebrew?
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Mark Thompson
> > --

This Rabbi seems to be dealing with Biblical Hebrew. I was not sure at
first. He categorizes all Hebrew consonants into four groups, with some of
the consonants fitting into more than one group. (Root, Prefix, Suffix,
Infix)

He also considers the Alphabet to have 28 consonants. He counts seen and
sheen as two different consonants and then he adds in the final forms of the
five consonants that have final forms.

And finally, according to him, all of the consonants can be used in the root
of a word but 12 of the consonants can only be used in the root. They are
gimel, dalet, zayin, he, het, samek, ayin, pe, sade, qop, res, and seen.

So I think that you have answered my question, but I was still wondering
about modern Hebrew. Is it much different from Ancient Hebrew?

Thank you very much.

Mark Thompson

BlackPlanet.com free e-mail - http://www.blackplanet.com/Registration/
The World Is Yours.
Check out our Special Introductory Offer - E-mail Forwarding for just $5.95
per year!