b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The DikDukBuk

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The DikDukBuk
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 01:10:36 +0200

Hi Mark,

If you look through the list archive, you'll find that the question of
Modern Hebrew was discussed recently. Some of us are of the opinion that MH
and BH are not all that different and the MH is useful for understanding BH.
Others consider the two to be practically different languages. In any case
one must remember that many of the BH grammer has been "modernized" in MH,
and that many BH words have taken on (or have been given) quite different
meaning in MH. As long as you remember this, you should be okay.

As far as "12 Hebrew constants that can "ONLY" be used as part of the root
of a word", I've never thought about it that way, but since ) b h w y k l m
n $ t are all used for various purposes, that leaves 11.

Yigal