b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Documentary Hypothesis - Just a Bit More

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <david.kimbrough AT charter.net>
  • To: <Banyai AT t-online.de>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Documentary Hypothesis - Just a Bit More
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 21:20:28 +0000

Bányai,

The first point that must realized is that the JEDP documents are not
identified solely by the name of God. I have lost count of how many
different ways God is addressed in the OT. Each of the four hypothesized
books has a distinct writing style, word use pattern, and theology. Comparing
just J and P is illustrative. The J portions make extensive use of word play,
puns, and irony and present a very anthropogenic God and called Yahweh in
Eden and at Horeb. Women play a very important part in the J portions. In
J, humans offer sacrifices to God from Eden to Horeb (no Sinai). J is not
particularly interested in priestly rituals or prohibitions. In the P
portions, God is very distant, awesome, and detached, the language is highly
repetitive and obsessive about the numbers of things, (length of the ark, age
of Abraham, days of rain, etc). No sacrifices are made to God until Moses
makes the first at Sinai (no Horeb). P is mostly long lists of priestly
rituals and prohibitio!
ns. In P God is called either Elohim or El Shaddai but explicitly changes
His name at Sinai to Yahweh. There is little punning or irony in P. The
differences in style are not very apparent in English translations.

A second point is that in fact It is not possible take ordinary stories a
part and get two complete but quite versions of the same story. Try to pull
apart War & Peace based on how the character Vasili Dmitrich Denisov is
addressed. In some parts he is called *General Densilov* and in others he is
called *Vasili Dmitrich*. You will not get two parallel complete versions
but distinct versions of War & Peace. You will get two strange disjointed
stories, but both will read like Tolstoy and will have a similar point of
view. This is true despite the fact that there is plenty of redundant
material in this book.

Again, I do not wish to debate this in any detail. My point is that this is
complex theory that cannot be appreciated, proven, or disproven by just
reading one book, a book on a different subject. I happen like Friedman?s
book but it pretty assumes the DH and goes from there to topic of book, which
is who wrote which sections. The scholars behind the DH may be wrong, but
they are not fools.