b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Opens the Womb" and "Firstborn"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Opens the Womb" and "Firstborn"
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:30:11 -0700

On 27/05/2004 13:48, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

Dear Chris,

Are there any meaningful implications that can be drawn from the common use
of the word: 'BaCHoR' Firstborn and the idea attached to 'PeTeR' as in for
example 'PeTeR RaCHaM'' at first I thought nothing more of it until I saw
the Verses from Exodus 13:12-16 where there is constant interchanging
between the two manners of expressing the 'Firstborn'?

HH: I think they are two slightly different expressions of the same essential reality. PTR indicates that which first opens or separates the womb, while BKWR simply stresses being the first-born.

I remember that when translating this passage we had to be careful to distinguish between the firstborn son and the firstborn child of either gender. I think BKWR is always a son, but PTR RXM can be a son or a daughter.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)