b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Opens the Womb" and "Firstborn"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Opens the Womb" and "Firstborn"
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 00:11:30 +0200

The basic meaning of P+R is "broken open". It appears sometimes as a verb
"patar". The form "peter" appears ONLY in connection to the first born -
first that "breaks open" the womb. Interestingly, animals are called
"peter". Only humans are "peter-rexem". Perhaps only a human womb is a true
:rexem".

Yigal