b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Exodus & Hyksos

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kwrandolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Exodus & Hyksos
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 12:22:41 -0700

Dear Walter:

The problem that I find with a book like Prof. Stiebing's is that he assumes that every place that has a name is occupied by a town. But that's not the picture given in Genesis, Exodus and Numbers. The picture given there is that many places had a name while uninhabited.

In western Europe where towns are often only a kilometer apart, the concept of a named locality without a town sounds fairly unusual, but I have been in places where the next town, or even hamlet big enough to have a gas station, is 175 km away (if even listed) over dirt roads, Arizona and New Mexico, states within the U.S., has places like that. Yet between the inhabited places are dozens of named sites, some of them with campgrounds (a few of which are quite nice) with the names listed on maps.

After experiencing traveling through areas like that, I don't expect the places listed in Tanakh necessarily to have a town perched on it. There is no mention of a town at Beersheba when Abraham camped there, in fact, that's the reason I think he and Isaac regularly camped there. My impression of Bethlehem when Rachel died there was also uninhabited except for temporary encampments by nomads. Only later were towns erected on the sites.

Therefore, to say that the lack of habitation at a named site at a certain time makes for an anomaly doesn't hold water.

Other indications in Genesis are that the land of Canaan was fairly sparsely inhabited, even up to the time of Joshua. The picture I get from Joshua is that he broke the back of the military opposition to his invasion, while the people mostly settled the uninhabited areas between the towns.

Karl W. Randolph.