b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Subject: Hyksos, Isreal, and Exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "kwrandolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Subject: Hyksos, Isreal, and Exodus
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 20:32:07 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "kwrandolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 6:46 PM
Subject: [b-hebrew] Subject: Hyksos, Isreal, and Exodus

> Dear David:
>
> > Many writers have, like yourself, assoicated the Isrealites
> > with the Hyksos.
>
> Yes, I know. However, Joseph was taken to Egypt before the Hyksos
> arrived, and was stationed in Memphis.

How do you know this?

> Even as grand vizier, he did
> not often visit the delta, so he did not introduce his sons to his
> father until some time after Jacob moved to Goshen.

How do you know this?

> Yes, his family
> was closer physically to him, but that was a relative term: they were
> within pharaoh's realm so he could go and visit them, whereas his job
> may have made it very difficult to impossible to visit Jacob outside
> of Egypt.

Considering the Hyksos King Apepi Auser-re had a reign long enough to fit
the timetable of Joseph in Egypt, doesn't this scenario fit the parallel
15th and 16th Dynasties where the 16th is a tribal chiieftain named
"Yakobaam?"

Doesn't it make more sense that the 18th dynasty Kings, having driven out
the Hyksos, begins with Ameses as the kings who "knew not Joseph?"

Jack