b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Subject: Hyksos, Isreal, and Exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kwrandolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Subject: Hyksos, Isreal, and Exodus
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 16:46:38 -0700

Dear David:

Many writers have, like yourself, assoicated the Isrealites
with the Hyksos.

Yes, I know. However, Joseph was taken to Egypt before the Hyksos arrived, and was stationed in Memphis. Even as grand vizier, he did not often visit the delta, so he did not introduce his sons to his father until some time after Jacob moved to Goshen. Yes, his family was closer physically to him, but that was a relative term: they were within pharaoh's realm so he could go and visit them, whereas his job may have made it very difficult to impossible to visit Jacob outside of Egypt.

The "king who did not know Joseph" was the Hyksos. They had their capital right in the land of Goshen, so Moses could travel quickly, even the same day, between Israel's elders and pharaoh. That's just one of the clues that makes me think that Moses dealt with a Hyksos pharaoh.