b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Joseph & Rameses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: david.kimbrough AT charter.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Joseph & Rameses
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:44:59 -0700

On 25/05/2004 10:14, david.kimbrough AT charter.net wrote:

My understand of Pi-Ramesses is that it was built on or near the ruins of Aversis, the Hyksos capital, not the other way around. The stie is one of strategic importance as both the Hyksos and Ramessid rulers of Egypt realized.

Pi-Ramesses does indeed mean "House of Ramesses" so it does not seem possible for it to have been built before the assension of Ramesses I (Menpehtyre). However since he only ruled for at most two years (1295 - 1294), it is unlikely he built Pi-Ramesses. It is far more likely that it was built by his son Seti I (Menmaatre 1394 - 1279) in honor of his father.

Again, taking the Gen 47:11 at face value, Joseph could not have arrived in Egypt prior to 1280.

Well, it probably shouldn't be taken so much at face value. Very likely this name was added to the text by a later redactor, giving the name by which the area was known in his or her time, or perhaps updating an old and forgotten name.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)