b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; Mice & Rats & Plague

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; Mice & Rats & Plague
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:07:13 -0500

Now for my 2¢ on this question.

As for the meaning of $MM (&#1513;&#1502;&#1501;) I understand it to mean
“desolation” but with a broader meaning than English, referring to both the
physical destruction and mental grief.

In reading old accounts concerning bubonic plague, one of the signs mentioned
was rats coming out of their holes even in broad daylight and dying in the
streets, shortly followed by swelling on people. Apparently some disease
kills off rats (not necessarily the plague, which can often be endemic in
rats with little effect on them) leaving a bunch of infected and hungry fleas
willing to bite even much despized humans (many fleas are quite particular
about which animals to bite). Seeing as many languages make no difference
between rats and mice, I would not be surprised if the same were true of
Biblical Hebrew, making the context of these verses fit the picture of
bubonic plague.

The ancients may not have known the connection with rats, bacteria and fleas,
but many rats swarming out of their holes and dying in the streets, shortly
followed by disease, would be noticeable.

(One area where the plague is endemic is southern California, particularly
around Los Angeles. Yet the number of human victims usually is 5 or fewer a
year.)

Karl W. Randolph.