b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Waw Consecutive in Narrative Hebrew Narrative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Waw Consecutive in Narrative Hebrew Narrative
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:24:47 -0500

Well, actually I have to admit that this is also what I was always taught,
not in formal advanced studies, but because it is really the only way to
read some passages that make sense. Then when studying Biblical Hebrew I
learned, no, the sheva vav that begins a sentence is only there to reverse
the verb; whether from completed to happens eternally or from happens
eternally to completed I do not remember.

For instance, in the first chapter of Genesis, what sense does it make to
think that And.. And... is there just to reverse a verb, particularly if
it reverses the verb from completed action to continuing action? The
sentences I;ve looked at so far are simple past tense, so anyting that
changed the tense would tell us that God is still creating the earth,
dividing the land from the waters, putting the lights in the sky, and
creating all of the birds and animals. It is not impossible that the
author meant to convey that God eternally makes sense out of the universe
and not merely at some time in the past, but the story is presented as story
set in the far past as something that occurred one time.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com