b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Waw Copulative in Narrative Hebrew Narrative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "B-Hebrew@Lists. Ibiblio. Org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Waw Copulative in Narrative Hebrew Narrative
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:29:33 -0400

Dear Alviero,
What about the waw copula that begins the book of Ezra (and Shemot and 1
Kings)?
Do these need to be a continuation of anything?
And if so, what would Ezra be a continuation of?
The waw is more natural in it's location in CHronicles, but Japhet
argues that the verse is copied from Ezra since it uses vocabulary
the CHronicler never uses elsewhere.
Of course, they could both have copied from a third source. If so,
would the verse have to have been embedded in a narrative in the source?
Could ub$nt be the first word of a narrative with nothing before it?
Thanks. I'm writing a commentary on Ezra-Nehemiah and I can't even
get past the first letter!
Best,
Liz Fried

Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph. D.