b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew text going left-to-right in word document

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew text going left-to-right in word document
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:09:43 -0800

On 23/03/2004 01:08, Søren Holst wrote:

I hope it's all right to ask for technical assistance from all you computer
wizards out there, on a purely non-linguistic problem:

A kind colleague in Jerusalem just sent me an article of his in a Word
document. The Hebrew comes out quite legibly (Times New Roman font), but it
goes from left to right. I guess his computer runs Hebrew Windows.

Is there a way to switch the direction of the document, or will I need to
look for somebody with Hebrew Windows here in Copenhagen (or just read it
from left to right, which actually is rather fun)?

kol tuv
Soren

What version of Windows and Word do you have? In any case you don't need to find Hebrew Windows as you can view this document in Word 2000 or later with Windows 95 or later. But there are a few things you need to do first.

1. You need to enable right-to-left language support in Windows. In Windows 95/98/ME you first need to install Internet Explorer (5.5 or later I think). Then, in all versions of Windows, you need to install support for one or more RTL languages (in your case obviously Hebrew) using Start - Settings - Control Panel - Regional Options - Language Settings (for Windows 2000, may be different in other versions). Ignore any comments about Hebrew not being fully supported, there is enough to support reading basic documents.

2. You then need to enable Hebrew support in Word. For this, you run a small program called Microsoft Office Language Settings, which you can find from the Start - Programs - Microsoft Office Tools.

You need Windows 2000 or XP to edit the document conveniently with Windows standard tools. Keyman, from www.tavultesoft.com, provides a way to edit Hebrew documents with Word 2000 or later on Windows 95/98/ME.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)