b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic, was WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Brian Roberts <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic, was WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:44:15 -0800

On 14/03/2004 05:58, Brian Roberts wrote:

On Sunday, March 14, 2004, at 12:52 AM, Polycarp66 AT aol.com wrote:

Why should you assume that Hebrew was the original language? (I believe this
is what you are implying here. Correct me if I misunderstand. Indeed, I tend
to think of Babel as a myth to explain the existence of a multitude of
languages despite a previously stated origin of the human species from a single
ancestor. This forum is really not the proper place to discuss this matter, but
since you raised the issue I feel obliged to clarify the point. You may, and
perhaps should, answer offlist.

As there is no conclusive proof of the origins of Phoenician, Hebrew, or Aramaic, I believe Karl's questions are not only valid, but should be supported. If proto-Semitic is becoming a sacred cow without good call, then it must be challenged.

I believe that was Karl's point. He wasn't assuming Hebrew was the original language, he was suggesting it. There is a tremendous difference.

Well put, Brian. Proto-Semitic is indeed a scholarly construct, and like all scholarly constructs it needs to be reviewed carefully by scholars. If Karl has done that kind of thorough review, based on a proper understanding of comparative Semitic linguistics and of the evidence for and against the generally accepted scholarly reconstruction, he is of course entitled to put forward an alternative theory. I trust that he is not assuming without good reason (even in the Bible taken very literally, I should point out) that the traditional theory is wrong and that the original language is Hebrew. If he is taking that position, then (since Karl mentions evolution) Huxley's (alleged) words to Bishop Wilberforce apply:

"If there were an ancestor whom I should feel shame in recording, it would rather be a /man/... who... plunges into scientific questions with which he has no real acquaintance, only to obscure them by aimless rhetoric, and distract the attention of his hearers from the real points at issue by eloquent digressions and skilled appeals to religious prejudice."

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)