b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: furuli AT online.no
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:01:46 +0100

Dear Bryan and others,

Those really interested in the Hebrew conjugations and the basis for Masoretic pointing should analyze all the 43 verses of this Psalm and compare them with modern Bible translations. Regardless of which temporal reference one applies to the different parts of this Psalm, it is impossible to get a coherent picture, if the traditional view is presumed - that WAYYIQTOL and WEQATAL are different conjugations compared with YIQTOL and QATAL.

Best regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

B-Haveray,

I have a little passage here that may relate to our discussion of whether
wayyiqtol and weyiqtol are distinct. I would be interested in your comments
about the use/meaning of the verb
forms and syntax in this passage, shown translated below in the JPS Tanakh:

Psalm 107:19 In their adversity they cried (wayyiqtol) to the LORD and He
saved (X-yiqtol) them from their troubles. 20 He gave (yiqtol) an order and
healed (weyiqtol) them; He delivered (weyiqtol) them from the pits. 21 Let
them praise (clause-initial yiqtol) the LORD for His steadfast love

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church