b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] stuma in Deut 5,21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] stuma in Deut 5,21
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 23:09:58 +0200

Yes Karl, Jewish tradition has always understood the "ten utterances" of
Ex.34:28 to refer to the Decalogue. The diference between (most) Jewish
tarditions and Christian ones is that vs. 2, "I am the Lord your God..." is
understood as a commandment of its own. As put by Maimonides, it is a
positive commandent for one to know that there is a God.

Look in any synagogue that has a representation of the two "tablets" on
which the Ten Commandments are written: "Anokhi" will be the first.

Yigal