b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew "brush-up" tools

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew "brush-up" tools
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:17:03 -0500

One tool I would highly recommend is something called an analytical lexicon.
It gives a list of all the terms in Tanakh, their binyamim and what they
mean. Then just open Tanakh and start reading.

To the scholars on this list, yes this is not scholarly, but a crutch for a
beginner. I had one such lexicon, and I wore it out (it fell apart from use)
but after a few years I no longer needed it. It reminded me of all the
irregular forms, where one form may have two roots, and reminded me of much
of the grammar besides rereading a formal grammar. My professor told me not
to buy it, but I found it very useful. At the time, I figured just being able
to read the text trumped being scholarly.

Karl W. Randolph.