b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:27:10 -0500

Peter:

I noticed that in Hebrew poetry, the two letters are treated as the same
letter. Second, there are lexemes in Tanakh which have two different
spellings where the only difference is that one spelling has a sin, the other
shin. Third, there are words apparently from the same root, but in one form
written with a sin (e.g. ’siym‘ to place) and another form with a shin (e.g.
’sham‘ there, that place). Fourth, the number of lexemes that have different
meanings but the same spelling, assuming sin and shin are the same letter,
appears no more commonly than for other letters, whereas if they had been
separate phonemes from way back, I expected to find more, many times more.

It is for these four reasons that I say that sin and shin were the same
phoneme, at least, in pre-Galut Babel Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.