b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:05:32 -0500

Yigal:

You are using evidence I have already rejected, namely Mishnaic Hebrew.
Earlier evidence, the New Testament, as preserved in the Byzantine tradition,
indicates that a pronunciation shift was nearing completion but still
underway, with apparently Galilee lagging behind Judea (hence Peter with his
Galilean accent). Part of the shift included that the Samech lost its
distinctive sound.

Yes, I recognize that I take the text more literally than you, which, for the
most part, makes no difference in how we look at the Hebrew language. There
are a few places where it does make a difference, but those deal mostly with
literary style and not linguistics.

Karl W. Randolph.