b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives onPhilistineguardsofJudean kings in Kings and Samuel?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>, "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>, "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives onPhilistineguardsofJudean kings in Kings and Samuel?
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:53:21 -0600

I've been doing reading in the library. Halpern's book, Dothan's on the
Philistines, and other books on the Philistines.

One thing: David wasn't an Edomite. He had some sort of connections to
Moab, where he parked his parents, and to whom he turned for aid nearly as
often as he did to Gath and to the Gibeonites. He hated Edomites. He
viciously fought them, and the Amelekites. I think this would have
something to do with competing tribes in the Negev. I'm not sure where the
Midianites stood in it.

The members of David's personal guard of 600 were all picked while he was in
Gath and in Ziklag; makes sense to think they came from there.

Overlap between these territories and Judea is part of my point. To call
them Philistine identifies them as a different group then Saul's, and sheds
light on what was going on with the ark and Yahweh. To call them
Philistine at this point is a red herring. Their religion was what they
had assimilated from the people around them - so they were apparently
Yahwists. In opposition to Saul's people, who appear to ahve worshipped
Ba'al, or else ahd a more syncretistic religion that included Ba'al.
Ishbaal wore Ba'al's name, and he was Saul's son. When Israel declared
independence from David's kingdom, they quickly went to Canaanite
iconography.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas