b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Negev

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Negev
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:28:30 +0200

Good point. I really don't have any biblical examples of the root NGB
meaning "wiped". But Hebrew already has two words for "south" - "darom",
which seems to be the basic term, and "yamin", which means "right" (as in
"right hand"), and came to mean "south" to people for whom east was "qedem",
west was "axor" and north was "semol". These terms are also known from
cognate languages. So why another word? Perhaps "Negev" was FIRST a proper
noun, which then came to mean "south" (anologous to "yam" meaning "west"
even if you're in the Sinai, south of the Great Sea), and only came to mean
"wiped" in later Hebrew.

Yigal