b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yam Suph "Reed" Sea - Seaweed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yam Suph "Reed" Sea - Seaweed
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 06:49:16 -0800

On 27/01/2004 06:34, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

Dear Peter,

You wrote:

More than 100 years later Kohler and Baumgartner's translators could
render no more precisely than "water plants" for the Jonah reference.
BDB, by the way, omits the Jonah reference while claiming to be exhaustive.

Perhaps I can return your favor in pointed out a missed datum on a page.
BDB does list the Jonah 2:6 reference to SW.P. They list Jonah 2:6 under
meaning 1. rushes, also citing Ex 2:3,5 and Isa 19:6. They agree with
someone else who derived SW.P from the Egyptian word twfi, reeds.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Maybe you have the corrected edition. I have the Hendrickson reprint of the original edition, which lists only Ex 2:3,5 and Is 19:6 under "rushes".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)