b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Yam Suph "Reed" Sea - Seaweed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Yam Suph "Reed" Sea - Seaweed
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:34:09 -0600

Dear Peter,

You wrote:

>More than 100 years later Kohler and Baumgartner's translators could
>render no more precisely than "water plants" for the Jonah reference.
>BDB, by the way, omits the Jonah reference while claiming to be exhaustive.

Perhaps I can return your favor in pointed out a missed datum on a page.
BDB does list the Jonah 2:6 reference to SW.P. They list Jonah 2:6 under
meaning 1. rushes, also citing Ex 2:3,5 and Isa 19:6. They agree with
someone else who derived SW.P from the Egyptian word twfi, reeds.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard