b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Yam Suph "Reed" Sea - Seaweed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Kimbrough (CLWA)" <dkimbrough AT clwa.org>
  • To: "'Polycarp66 AT aol.com'" <Polycarp66 AT aol.com>, dwashbur AT nyx.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Yam Suph "Reed" Sea - Seaweed
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:32:41 -0800

I believe he means that there are clear references to what we call today the
Gulf of Aqaba being referred to as "Yam Suf" in Kings, just as there are to
the Gulf and Suez and the Red Sea. Yam Suf would seem to be the Red Sea
plus both of its arms, Gulfs of Suez and Aqaba.

There is in fact no more kelp in any of these bodies than the Mediterranean
Sea and certainly less than the Sargasso Sea. However, the "Medi - Terra -
nean" sea is not really in the "Sea in the Middle of the World" either.

Sedges are land plants, including some reeds, of the family Cyperaceae,
having solid stems, leaves in three vertical rows, and spikelets of
inconspicuous flowers, with each flower subtended by a scalelike bract.
There are indeed plenty of sedges around the edges of the Red Sea, just as
there are around the Mediterranean and the Gulf of California.

dkimbrough AT clwa.org