b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 1:26--Connotation of the beth preposition

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: klbarney AT yahoo.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 1:26--Connotation of the beth preposition
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:26:21 EST

In a message dated 1/14/2004 12:12:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
klbarney AT yahoo.com writes:

> I have a friend who is arguing that the inseparable
> beth in Gen. 1:26 does not mean "in" (IE man was
> created *in* the image of God), but rather "as" (IE
> man was created *as* the image of God). The parallel
> suggested for this usage is Exod. 6:3, where the
> preposition does indeed appear to have this type of a
> connotation.
>
> (The point of this argument is to say that God doesn't
> have an image of his own, and he created man to be his
> image, as a representation of him, or something like
> that.)

_____

The BETH preposition does not have only one usage. In fact, almost no word
does (unless you wish to consider that words used once or infrequently are
such
though it is more likely that we simply haven't sufficient representatives of
the word). In BDB has a lengthy list from which this has been excerpted.

I. IN

1. in

2.
a. among
b. some of

3. within

4. into

5. time

6. of state or condition within which an action takes place

7. introducing the object
a. in which the subject consists or shows itself
b. secondary predicate
c. a pred. as accus.
d. comparison -- in the form of , as

II. With -- proximity

1. at, by

2. on

3. with vbs of touching etc.

4. with vbs implying hostility
a. against
b. down to, upon

III.

1. with
a. accompaniment
b. with what one brings with one (B.:):YN without
c. concommitant conditions

2. instrument or means
a. with, by
b. idiomatic with certain vbs "with", "by means of"
c. through
d. allied -- as to swear "in the name of "
e. B.aM.fH or B.aM.eH = "how?"

3. cost or price
a. buying, betrothing, etc.
b. selling, etc.

4. object treated as instrument "shake with the head"

5. causal "through", "on account of"

As Yul Brynner in "The King and I" was accustomed to say, "Et cetera, et
cetera, et cetera." The point being that one should never look at one
passage and
decide that the usage found therein is determinative for all others. The
usage in Ex 6.3 is actually more like the usage of Kaf (K.) though
prepositions
frequently overlap in their usage as in Greek.

gfsomsel