b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:03:27 -0500

As a multilingual person, I have experienced the difficulty of keeping
languages straight. My German is affected by Norwegian and English. People
sometimes mention my foreign accent, though English is my native tongue.
French and Russian are just for reading, and Chinese is what I speak on the
street (Cantonese and Toisan dialect). It’s amusing to hear English laden
Chinese speech on the street. I expect that many on this list make my
linguistic accomplishments look amateurish. One of the reasons I deliberately
avoided even Mishnaic Hebrew, let alone modern Hebrew, is that I did not wish
to add the additional complexity of trying to keep the different styles of
Hebrew straight. I want to have the situation that I react instinctively and
correctly, much the same way as I write and speak English. Though I admit,
the lack of a modern vocabulary severely limits the subjects about which I
can speak in Hebrew.

Not studying cognate languages such as modern Hebrew is an advantage, in that
I then react to Biblical Hebrew naturally. I have only one grammar and
vocabulary to which to react.

However, it is also a weakness. I can’t compare Semitic cognate languages.
You, the other members on this mailing list, have been a major help for me in
this. Thanks.

As for unicode, I am not excited about it. But for the most part it works and
there is a lot of support for it, so I can live with it.

Karl W. Randolph.