b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Lexicography .

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Lexicography .
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:05:56 +0200

I agree. We have such a limited corpus of "Biblical Hebrew" that I don't
think that it is possible to really "think" (that is, have creative,
original thoughts) in it. However Biblical Hebrew is part of a linguistic
process, which includes Second Temple, Mishnaic, Gaonic, Medieval and Modern
Hebrew. Beyond the widely expanded lexicon, MH is not that different than
BH. My second grade daughter (for those of y'all who don't know, I live in
Israel) reads the Bible much more easily that a second grade American could
read the KJV - obviously not on an adult level, but most of the basic
vocabulary and syntax is no problem for her. The fact that so many fine
Bible scholars feel that they can ignore anything written in MH is very
problematic - no scholar of, say, Medieval French or German literature would
ever be able to get away with not reading Modern French or German.

Yigal