b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Lexicography - (was Gen. 1:26--Connotation of the beth pre...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Lexicography - (was Gen. 1:26--Connotation of the beth pre...
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:43:14 -0800

On 17/01/2004 11:20, Polycarp66 AT aol.com wrote:

This isn't really quite what I understand when one says "Think in X." Yes, it's possible to read a passage in another language and not sit there almost (if not actually) writing down a translation. Also, there are things which come to mind from reading in a language which simply come out in that language. Why do we say "Cogito ergo sum" rather than "I think therefore I am"? Because we learned it that way. These are simply a library of phrases which we can call up on occassion. I don't consider this "thinking" in a language.

gfsomsel

George, perhaps your problem is that you know a little bit of too many languages. Have you ever immersed yourself for months in any one language, other than your mother tongue? After that time you do find yourself beginning to think in that language. Now it is clear that Karl does immerse himself in biblical Hebrew, reading large quantities of it every day (unpointed and in paleo-Hebrew characters, I understand). After some time he really will begin to think in biblical Hebrew. He may even find that he understands words better than the best lexicographers (although that is no excuse for accusing them of sloppy thinking etc). I applaud Karl's goal of trying to think in biblical Hebrew, and am glad that he has reached some success in it. And one day, perhaps if he visits somewhere like Bukhara, he just might find himself meeting someone with whom his only common language is biblical Hebrew; I suspect he would find himself able (better than me) to carry on a meaningful conversation with them, as long as he avoids subjects which cannot be expressed in the limited biblical Hebrew vocabulary.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)