b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Contextual Semantic Domains

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: furuli AT online.no
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Contextual Semantic Domains
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:21:10 +0100

Dear list-members?

It seems to me that it is difficult to abandon terms that have been cherished for a long time. When I argue in a scholarly context, I often get the question: "Can you give an example?" It is often easier to grasp ideas by looking at them from a practical point of view, how they work. So allow me to ask a few questions regarding the term "lexical meaning," which often is used without being adequately defined, and often being used in a wrong way, in my view. In order to test my claim "that 'lexical meaning' cannot be expressed in writing or in speech, it must be known (except with very simple words),' I ask a few questions.

First I use the translational setting: Expressed in English, what is the "lexical meaning" of the nouns NP$ and XSD and the verb $LM?

Then I use the setting of the one English language: What is the lexical meaning of the nouns "meaning" and "world" and the verb "to love"?

Can the "lexical meaning" in each case be expressed with one word, or must the "lexical meaning" be expressed with several different words in each case? Or can it be that the "lexical meaning" cannot be expressed by words at all, because it is tied to a concept in the minds of living people?

Those who use the term "lexical meaning" in connection with Hebrew-English lexicons should be able to give some answers to these questions.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo