b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Contextual Semantic Domains

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Contextual Semantic Domains
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:12:26 -0500

>===== Original Message From CS Bartholomew <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
=====
>Does anyone who has taken a serious look at this issue have any reservations
>about developing a Hebrew dictionary which is structured around this
>distinction?

ISTM that there's an inherent problem here. What is the unaffected meaning of
a word? Well, I don't see how it can be anything except an abstraction from
the various contexts in which we've encountered the word. Basically, whether
consciously or unconsciously, we strip away anything about the word that
seems
to be unique to one context or another and synthesize what remains into some
bundle of ideas. That seems simple enough, but particularly when we're
talking
about mining ancient texts for meaningful units, I'm not sure how well we can
sort out affected from unaffected meaning in most cases.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics