b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] linguistics, was Re: Prov. 30:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jason Hare <jason AT hareplay.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] linguistics, was Re: Prov. 30:19
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:14:31 -0700

On 11/10/2003 12:52, Jason Hare wrote:

All,

I am going to sound a bit basic, but I have seen many people using the word
"phoneme" to refer to the letters of the alphabet. So far as I know, and I
have only just begun my study into linguistics, "grapheme" would be more
appropriate when discussing the written form the language (the alphabet). ...

Absolutely.

... The Hebrew alefbet is composed of twenty-two "graphemes," but many more
"phonemes." ...

That is precisely what I have been trying to convince Karl of, but he seems to believe, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary, that the Hebrew alefbet is perfectly phonemic i.e. the graphemes are a perfect one to one match to the phonemes.

... Each variant of the BGDKP"T family would be a different phoneme.
Sin and shin are different phonemes, but one grapheme. ...

Yes, for sin and shin, in an unpointed text.

... Is not a "phoneme"
the same as an "allophone"?

No, they are not the same. Allophones are different sounds (phones) which correspond to the same phoneme. Arguably (actually it is not quite this simple), the different sounds of bet, kaf etc are allophones of the same phoneme rather than separate phonemes, i.e. the one phoneme /b/ is pronounced [v] when between two vowels or word final but [b] when word initial or doubled - very much like the Spanish b in fact, which has a different sound when between two vowels which is certainly an allophone.

Sorry, it's just that in this thread I have had a hard time keeping the
argument straight. And I think a lot of it has to do with a varying degree
of terminology usage. Could someone straighten me out, someone who has had
more experience in linguistics? I was under the impression that a grapheme
was a part of the written form of the language, ...

Yes.

... a phoneme was a single sound
without meaning (represented often by features of the international phonetic
alphabet) ...

No, you are confusing this with a phone. A phoneme is something rather different, to put it very simply, a set of sounds which share a meaning, like the two sounds of Spanish b which have the same meaning.

... and an allophone was a variant sound of a certain grapheme
(functionally the same as a phoneme). ...

No, a variant sound of a certain phoneme.

... Beyond this, we have morphemes of
various types (small, meaningless sounds added to a word to change some
aspect of it).

Not meaningless. Maybe no meaning in isolation (but then the same is true of some separate words).

Am I completely off-base? Is everyone else on the list using a different
system of terminology that has become more "acceptable"? I have studied only
with / Camino Oral /, a textbook that is written in Spanish. And my studies
have been alone. I will be taking a class in phonetics during the coming
semester.

You should understand better after that.

Todah rabah,
Jason

--
Peter Kirk