b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] linguistics, was Re: Prov. 30:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] linguistics, was Re: Prov. 30:19
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 05:15:40 -0700

On 10/10/2003 15:47, Karl Randolph wrote:

Dear Peter:

I think I recognize where our differences lie: it is philosophic with
linguistic overtones, and not linguistic per se.

Do you agree that we are dealing with differences that are more philosophical
than linguistic? If so, we should leave off arguing as linguistic arguments
will not resolve philosophical differences.

Karl W. Randolph.

If you philosophy is that over the past 1000-3000 years there has been such a fundamental change in human nature, intelligence, language capabilities etc (even sex drives if you don't understand the issue of the way of a man with a girl) that we cannot assume any similarity between ancient and modern human beings, yes your philosophy does differ from mine, and the difference will not be resolved quickly. I think you will find plenty of evidence against your position in ancient texts which show that ancient humans were very like modern ones except for the technology etc. But it takes more than evidence to change basic philosophical presuppositions.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)