b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: CS Bartholomew <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: BIblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 22:54:06 -0700

On 9/26/03 9:21 PM, "CS Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 9/26/03 8:23 PM, "Philip" <phil-eng AT ighmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A careful comparison of the MT against the LXX of Psalm 8:6[5] reveals an
>> almost word-for-word verbatim presentation. It is highly unlikely that the
>> LXX vorlage of Psalm 8:6[5] is different from the MT vorlage of Psalm
>> 8:6[5].
>
> This does not follow. Two very different MSS of any ancient document can
> vary by only one word in any line, clause, stanza. It isn't valid to draw
> conclusions about the identity of the vorlage based on a data sample of this
> size.

Lets assume, for the purpose of discussion only, that Psalm 7,8 and 9 were
all part of the same MS used to translate the LXX. E.Tov's MT/LXX database
doesn't report any pluses or minuses in Psalm 8, only a minor word order
difference in Psa.8:8 eti de kai.

However in Psalm 7 and 9 we have a significant number of LXX pluses,
sequence discrepancies and other differences. If Psalm 7,8,9 were all part
of the same LXX vorlage then one would have to take this data into account.

Someone familiar with how the Psalms were "packaged" at the time they were
translated into Greek might be able to help with this question. Do we know
which psalms were likely to be grouped on a single scroll with Psalm 8?

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew