b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] elohim means God in the majority of cases?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: phil-eng AT ighmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Awohili AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] elohim means God in the majority of cases?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:07:02 EDT

A referent, yes; a name, no. Elohim is a title. I can think of no verse in
the Hebrew Bible where it is written, 'My name is God.' I can think of many
verses where it is written, 'My name is YHWH.' The difference may seem
subtle,
but it is there.

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 09/24/2003 2:34:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
phil-eng AT ighmail.com writes:

> Thanks Arne and others.
>
> Would you agree with the statement below by Robert Baker Girdlestone1, that
> out of the 2, 602 occurrences of the word elohim in the Hebrew Bible, " In
> 2310 of these instances, it is used as the name of the living and true God,
> but in 245 passages it appears to be adopted in lower senses", i.e. gods,
> godlike ones, angels

  • Re: [b-hebrew] elohim means God in the majority of cases?, Awohili, 09/24/2003