b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] There is Qal Passive stem!!!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] There is Qal Passive stem!!!
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:59:53 -0700

On 16/09/2003 05:23, Trevor Peterson wrote:

===== Original Message From George Athas <gathas AT hotkey.net.au> =====
There does appear to have been a Qal Passive at a very early
stage of Hebrew. The vestiges of it are seen mostly in the Qal Passive
participle. However, there are a handful of Qal Passive Perfects and
Imperfects,

which are usually mistaken for Pual or Hophal forms. There is a short
discussion

of these in Seow's grammar (2nd Ed), pp.323-24. I'm sure there must be a more
detailed discussion elsewhere, too.

W&O'C has a pretty good discussion of it, and you should find enough bibliography there to go further. ...

Thanks, George and Trevor, for refreshing my memory on this one.

But it still seems to me that any idea of a qal passive at 1 Sam 1:22 is bringing in an unnecessary complication. At least I would want to see evidence that there is a qal passive of ra'ah which would have the correct consonantal form. And my point was that there is no need to posit a passive form here as the active form is quite comprehensible, and not theologically objectionable, when the idiom is understood.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)